- Bone MD is my pseudonym. I am a board certified orthopedic surgeon practicing in the hinterlands of Mindanao, Philippines.
- I finished my MD at the UP College of Medicine in 2000 and passed the Philippines’ physician licensure exam that same year. I practiced general medicine for a year then went on to pursue orthopedic training at UP-PGH until 2006 and went on to pass the Philippine Board of Orthopedics diplomate exam in that same year.
- I am now orthopedic consultant to several hospitals here in the South Mindanao area and help train residents in one training institution. My practice is mostly (but not limited to) orthopedic trauma and general medicine, as these are the predominant health care problem in my area.
- My inclination is into academics and clinical orthopedics but I dabble in so many other non medical endeavors (like blogging, computers, outdoors, sports) so as not to waste my time looking at the ceiling of my non existent clinics.
- Hopefully, I’ll get into a fellowship training abroad, joints and upper extremity perhaps and combine it with computer gadgetry, blogging and sports.
About Talakudong Mountaineer
- I started blogging in the late half of 2006, mostly personal journals of my plunge into the practice of medicine. But I have so many other interests in life that I so passionately pursue in the course of my lifetime. Blogging is one, and so is computers, badminton and lately outdoor backpacking and trekking.
- The fascination with the outdoor life has always chilled me since childhood that it became a personal mission to me, that one day, I’ll scale something worth bragging. The long years of competitive studying had pushed me to relegate this passion to just mere fascination with few real time out door gigs. After my studies and landing a decent job, I went relentlessly keeping up with what I missed in the outdoor life before, only to find out the that indeed outdoors is not just about bragging and scaling peaks. It is about people, about the earth we live in and the pursuit to maintain what we love so much. Nature.
- So I’m blogging most of it, to the best of my wit. You see, I’m a newbie climber. But there is no better moment to write about my experiences with outdoor life than now. Blogging and mountaineering are both passionate exercises that I’m zealously pursuing.
I’m filling out these questions (modified) that will help my readers evaluate what I’m writing in this blog.
- Who runs this site?The Talakudong Mountaineer is run by Bone MD, a board certified orthopedic surgeon practicing in the South Mindanao area.
- Who pays for the site?None. It’s hosted on a free site. I used a free version of blogger.I do most of the tweaking of the design (as far as a free blogger account would allow me to) and I have total control over the content.As of now, I don’t earn anything from maintaining the site. But I plan to put ads in the site and probably receive renumeration from the ad links and actual contracts with specific companies arranged through (I hope) If ever there will be ads on this site I have no financial interest in any of these companies, other than what they pay me to advertise on my site. As of this time, I have not received any gifts from any companies that advertise on the The Talakudong Mountaineer.
- What is the purpose of the site?It is a medium for me to relate my experiences, post announcements and discuss issues affecting me in particular and outdoor life or mountaineering in general. I am not encouraging my readers to replicate what I relate here, as this has always been considered a risky hobby.
- Where does the information come from?Mostly from what I hear and read around- the news, journals, net and experiences of colleagues and superiors.The majority of my posting is anecdotal.Some identities will be held confidential if so requested but the individual and to protect privacy.Links to information’s sources are given whenever applicable
- What is the basis of the information?I answered this in question number four.
- How is the information selected?I am a beginner on this niche so my postings are based on what I perceived as important to my learning and what might interest the readers.
- How current is the information?It will be current only depending on the sources and links given. Often, I do update some post to improve accuracy and factual information.
- How does the site choose links to other sites?My links are based solely on sites I have read and found interesting .
- What information about you does the site collect, and why?The site collects no information about anyone other than what is recorded on the site meters.That information is used just for my own personal interest in seeing where my readers come from and keeping track of how much traffic this blog generates.
- How does the site manage interactions with visitors?Not like a patient- physician interaction I hope.I will answer comments when necessary! I sometimes put up mock polls, for purposes of knowing what my readers think and results are not sold for monetary gains.Spammers are blocked. All opinions are welcome. Post containing profanity or harassment are removed.